SpeedCoach Mobile takes the idea of Nielsen-Kellerman’s SpeedCoach and implements it on the Apple iPod touch, iPhone and Window Phone. SpeedCoach Mobile provides all of the information you get with an NK SpeedCoach and much more. Using the advanced capabilities of the iPhone and iPod touch, SpeedCoach Mobile is able to accurately calculate stroke rate, distance, and speed (or pace). With a waterproof case and the SpeedCoach Mobile application, your iPhone or iPod touch is transformed into a SpeedCoach that works in any rowing shell, canoe, kayak or dragonboat – with no wiring! (Note: on the iPod touch, speed and distance features require the use of an external GPS accessory.)
Rowers, in particular, will find the SpeedCoach Mobile very intuitive and easy to use, as the user interface borrows familiar ideas from the SpeedCoach and the Concept 2 erg monitors.
A free version (SpeedCoach Mobile Free) is available for evaluation purposes. It works exactly like the full version but is limited to 100 strokes each time you run the application.
Fully integrated with the iPhone & iPod touch
- Good battery life – typically 3-4 hours
- Uses GPS to calculate distance and speed (iPhone only)
- Uses the accelerometer to detect strokes, calculate stroke rates, and record stroke force
- White-on-black display works well in both low-light conditions and bright sunlight
- All screens support both landscape and portrait mode
- Configurable layout lets you see just the data that you want
- Available performance data: time, distance, stroke rate, stroke count, speed/pace, average speed/pace, interval number, direction, time of day, check factor, bounce factor, total distance, and meters per stroke.
- Heart rate monitoring is available for the following configurations:
- Calculates stroke rates reliably for rowing shells of all sizes, canoes, kayaks and dragon-boats
- Easy to create new workouts
- Unlimited storage for workouts
- Rearrange workouts in your list to make your favorites easy to find
- Optional “countdown” feature lets you get up to speed before starting the first interval
- Single distance or time
- Intervals based on time, distance, or strokes (with configurable rest between intervals)
- Custom workouts containing any sequence of intervals
- With the “custom courses” feature, you can draw the start & finish lines of a course in Google Earth and transmit the data to your iPhone. The application can then start & stop the timer automatically as you cross the start and finish lines.
Workout history & data exporting
- Workout data can be saved indefinitely on your device
- Add your own practice notes, list teammates, and record the boat name or type.
- Export data via email or USB in a variety of popular formats (TCX, GPX, KML). TCX data can be imported by popular web sites such as www.trainingpeaks.com, or desktop applications such as SportTracks (PC) or TrailRunner (Mac) for logging and charting. View KML data in Google Earth.
- Export per-interval details (including stroke force) in CSV format for importing and charting with spreadsheet applications.
- “Coach Mode” allows coaches to use the application to help organize and direct practices from the launch. Let the iPhone alert you to the end of each work and rest interval. Tap the iPhone screen to check stroke rates.
- Audible alarms at the end of a work interval and with 15 seconds remaining in a rest interval
- Automatic start/stop feature lets you start (or pause) a workout when you start (or stop) rowing or paddling